October 1, 2010

Loss of a grandmother

I never dreamed two months and a week to the day from when my Mamaw Klue died I would be going thru the same thing again with my Mamaw B.

I loved my Mamaw B more than anything in the world. This is the lady who pretty much raised me and made sure I was walking down the right path in life. She was very hard on me growing up and pretty much gave me a lecture every time I left the houseto make sure I didn't do anything I would regret. I was her only grandchild,so I was her number one priority in life. Her death was a very bitter sweet ordeal, she has had Parkinson's Disease for the past couple of years and in the last 3 years she has really gone down hill. She was unable to walk alone anymore, couldn't feed herself and you could barley hear her talk. My granddad has beenhelping her do everything. (He is a great & wonderful man.) Before I got pregnant with the boys grandmother told me that she was ready to die, but after I got pregnant she told me she couldn't die yet because she had to hold those sweet boys. That was her new mission, although I was concerned at times she wasn't even going to make it to there birth, but she did, she lived to see them turn 11 months old.

Here is a little of what happen:Saturday (Sept 25) we went to Mamaw B & Papaw Norris's house for Papaw's Birthday and ate BBQ and Elvis Presley Cake that he had made. The boys crawled up the stairs for the first time to her and even crawled up her wheel chair. She loved to watch the boys and love on them as much as possible. Sunday night grandmother couldn't even stand up anymore so Papaw told her to put her arms around his neck and pick her feet up and he would carry her on his back to put her in the bed, he said she laughed all of the way there. Grandmother's legs had begun to swell over the weekend and Papaw was going to take her to the doctor Monday morning The next morning they woke up around 4 am and grandmother wanted to get up because her legs were hurting and he told her they could get up yet because if they both fell he would have to call my mom, so he got up and rubbed her legs for her and she asked him to roll her over on her side. They talked for a few minutes and then dozed back off to sleep.

Papaw woke up around 7 am and said to grandmother, "Come on Betty Jean, lets get up", but she didn't respond. He then called mom and mom called me, I had just left thehouse to take the kids to daycare, so I flipped the car around and headed to mygrandparents house. When I walked in the room where she was I knew by looking at herthat she was gone, you know how when people first die they have that color of gray that comes over the body, that's what it was. I laid in the bed next to her putting my hand on her chest and then over her mouth, but there was nothing, her body was still warm like it had just happened with in minutes before.


Obituary for Betty Millican
NEW ALBANY - Betty Jean Mays Millican, 80, died Monday
, Sept. 27, 2010, at home. She was born July 28, 1930, at her home in Union County. She was retired from Bell South Telephone Company, where she worked for 31 years. She was a member of First Baptist Church of New Albany.

Services will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday in the United Funeral Service Chapel with Bro. Dean Timbes and Bro. Ricky Blythe officiating. Burial will be in the Vista Memorial Park Cemetery. United Funeral Service of New Albany is in charge of the arrangements.

She is survived by her husband of 60 years, Norris Millican of New Albany; one daughter, Sharon Medlin (Terry) of New Albany; one granddaughter, Emily Roberts (Jason); two great-grandchildren, Ben and Colton Roberts of New Albany.She was preceded in death by her parents, Rev. Audie Mays and Willie Mays: three sisters Christine Gullett, Ruby Sloan and Mary Ruth Mays; and one brother, Cordie Mays.

Pallbearers will be Larry Millican, Terry Millican, Larry Gullett, Don Sloan, James Byers and Danny Jordan. Honorary pallbearers will be Galloway Jones, Robert Henderson, Billy Ferrell and Billy Parrish.

Pictures of my Grandmother throughout her life.
My grandmother was a very important person in my life, growing up she was always my role model. I will miss her more than anything..... Love you Mamaw B!

1 comment:

Chrystie said...

I'm so sorry Emily. It sounds like she was an amazing woman.